Ticket #1735 (new enhancement)
feature-request: Hardware Virtualization GUI Info Utility
|Reported by:||Technologov||Owned by:|
Description (last modified by frank) (diff)
In continuing to the bug #1240, and other VT-x related bugs, I can say from personal experience, that hardware virtualization is not always transparent enough.
That is: Hardware virtualization becomes more and more sophisticated, but I'we not seen any "user-friendly" utility (either CLI or GUI), that shows that hosts VT capabilities.
I request either making a separate cross-platform utility for that purpose, or additional GUI Info Dialog within VBox GUI.
It must show the following:
- Intel VT-x
- Intel VT-d
- Intel Extended Page Tables (EPT)
- Intel FlexPriority
- AMD Nested Page Tables (NPT)
- Whenever all the CPUs support all the features
- Whenever other virtualizer already uses those features currently (so they are not accessible to VBox)
- Whenever BIOS enables/disables those features.
Now, Linux has some limited capabilities in this field, and other platforms, provide even less info to the end-user.
It will really make life easier for lots of people.