VirtualBox

Ticket #1379 (closed defect: fixed)

Opened 6 years ago

Last modified 6 years ago

Memory Leak 100% CPU -> fixed in 1.6

Reported by: dr.diesel@… Owned by:
Priority: major Component: other
Version: VirtualBox 1.5.6 Keywords: Memory Leak 100% CPU
Cc: Guest type: other
Host type: other

Description

Running VB version 1.5.6-1, Windoze host Windoze Guest: Both OSs: Windows XP SP2 all updates On the guest, I connect my cell modem via Activsync, then a utility named PdaNet which then allows for internet access on the Windows guest. There is no other networking enabled on the guest. After about 1-2 hours of streaming music on the guest via the cell modem VituralBox.exe is using 100% CPU and the sound starts skipping to the Windows host. If I let it go long enough (3-4 hours) VitualBox.exe will use > 500meg, pretty much use all available memory. Here is the importand part: This seems to happen only when streaming music, it doesn't matter where from either! If I watch the memory usage in task manager for VitualBox.exe the memory is increasing on par with the amount downloaded/streamed! And If i stop the stream/download, the memory usage stops increasing!! But at no point is the volume ever purged, I have to reboot the guest.

Attachments

WindBlows.xml Download (4.8 KB) - added by dr.diesel@… 6 years ago.
VirtualBox.xml Download (1.8 KB) - added by dr.diesel@… 6 years ago.
VBox.log Download (35.0 KB) - added by dr.diesel@… 6 years ago.

Change History

Changed 6 years ago by dr.diesel@…

Changed 6 years ago by dr.diesel@…

comment:1 Changed 6 years ago by dr.diesel@…

Reproducing it now, I will attach the VBox.log shortly.

comment:2 Changed 6 years ago by dr.diesel@…

The cell modem is a Verizon XV6800 EVDO cell phone tethered via VirtualBox's USB redirection.

Changed 6 years ago by dr.diesel@…

comment:3 Changed 6 years ago by Technologov

Basically the leak may be either in general (PC/CPU) part of VirtualBox or in the USB redirection part of VirtualBox.

Try using other scheme to connect via your "cell modem".

  1. NAT networking
  2. TAP networking
  3. Third-party USB redirector (such as "Incentives Pro" or "Fabula Tech")

This will allow to isolate the bug.

-Technologov

comment:4 Changed 6 years ago by dr.diesel@…

It doesn't look like I can test any other way. This guest/VM cannot have any enabled network interfaces, other than the connection to the cell phone/modem. It appears that Incentives Pro and Fabula Tech redirect to a host name or IP?

Any other debug mode or log files I can provide?

comment:5 Changed 6 years ago by dr.diesel@…

I see that there is another process named "usbredirectorsrv.exe". If it was a problem with the USB Redirector would I see that process ballon? That doesn't seem to be happening, FYI anyhow.

comment:6 Changed 6 years ago by dr.diesel@…

Quick update:

I've found I can "reset" the problem by simply unplugging my USB device and reconnecting it. Virtualbox.exe memory can be > 500meg, then within 2-3 seconds of removing the USB cable it drops to about 12meg.

comment:7 Changed 6 years ago by sandervl73

  • Summary changed from Memory Leak 100% CPU to Memory Leak 100% CPU -> fixed in 1.6

comment:8 Changed 6 years ago by sandervl73

We've found and fixed the problem. Thanks for your report.

comment:9 Changed 6 years ago by sandervl73

  • Status changed from new to closed
  • Resolution set to fixed
Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.

www.oracle.com
ContactPrivacy policyTerms of Use