Ticket #11439 (closed defect: wontfix)
Vbox 4.2.6 Hangs on shut down with 32bit linux guest
|Reported by:||idw1972||Owned by:|
Description (last modified by frank) (diff)
Running VirtualBox 4.2.6 xpsp3 win7/win7 x64 with modified bios to include WinXP mode hex string which falls into clear space in the BIOS at #10E5A (in VBoxDD2.dll x86), #11AAA (in VBoxDD2.dll x64) or extracting the bios modifying and using extradata item to reinsert.
When using modified dll/bios linux 32bit clients will not shut down fully to power off on either vbox x86 or x64 but hang and have to be closed using turn of machine from menu.
when using unmodified dll/bios 32bit linux clients shut down completely to close.
x64 linux guest are not effected.
This did not happen with 4.2.0
if 4.2.0 dll is used with 4.2.6 everything works as before.
There is a workaround with 32bit linux guests and the modded dll/bios i dont know if this will give a direction as to the problem but to get them to shut down completely i had to follow this procedure in the guest.
Type in terminal:
- sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
- Find the line: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
- Change this to: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi=force"
- Save the file and close the file. 5. Finally, in terminal: sudo update-grub
after doing this everything is working correctly again.
attached is log from 32bit host and guest
guests used ubuntu 12.10/12.04lts linux mint cinnamon, xcfe
this is needed as using xpmode.vhd and need to keep activation.
Changed 3 years ago by idw1972
- Description modified (diff)
- Summary changed from Vbox 2.4.6 Hangs on shut down with 32bit linux guest to Vbox 4.2.6 Hangs on shut down with 32bit linux guest