Ticket #10958 (new defect)
Windows guest does not recognized Broadcom 5880 smart card reader
|Reported by:||armillz||Owned by:|
|Version:||VirtualBox 4.2.0||Keywords:||smart card|
I have a Dell Latitude E6520 with a built in Broadcom 5880 smart card reader that refuses to work inside my Windows Guest OS. Some relevant notes:
- the 5880 reader works fine on my host system.
- if I plug in an external USB smart card reader (SCR3310), that works fine inside the guest OS
- the built in 5880 reader works fine in a guest if I use VMware.
Virtual box will allow me to connect the 5880 from the USB devices menu. It then indicates a lot of flashing red/green lights on the USB icon, but my smart card software inside the guest (ActivClient) does not recognize that a reader is present. Inserting/removing the card has no effect.
- Windows 7 64-bit Professional on the host, 8GB RAM
- Windows 2008 R2 64-bit as the guest, 3.5GB RAM
I just updated to VirtualBox 4.2 but have tried this on a bunch of previous 4.0 and 4.1 versions. I was hoping this would eventually be fixed. My googling through the community indicates that others have had this problem and it has never been solved.
Any idea how to make this work or whether it will be fixed?