Ticket #10741 (closed defect: fixed)
OSX host crasher repro
|Reported by:||swork||Owned by:|
|Host type:||Mac OS X|
I have a simple-case repro for a host crash problem possibly related to several open or "closed - works for me" bug records here. It's quite consistent on my host (MacBookPro6,1, 8GB RAM). The VM config simplifications described below don't seem to be necessary but might help rule out culprits.
- Create two VMs, all defaults. Simplify the situation by eliminating disks (no devices attached to default IDE bus), disable audio, disable network cards.
- Run a shell-script loop starting both VMs then stopping both VMs. ("for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ; vboxmanage startvm empty1 ; vboxmanage startvm empty2 ; vboxmanage controlvm empty1 poweroff ; vboxmanage controlvm empty2 poweroff ; done")
- See host crash after a few cycles.
- This is not a realistic use case, but I hit this (or a similar-symptom) crasher in actual use with two Ubuntu guests, with a script automatically stopping them at about the same time (one shell process issues "vboxmanage controlvm name poweroff" for both VMs in succession). I marked this "critical," hope you agree.
- Crash does not reproduce here if the IDE bus itself is removed from both VMs; could be the bus is implicated or just that the timing changes.
- Host OS is OSX 10.7.3
I'll attach a system crash report.