Ticket #10690 (closed defect: worksforme)
No sound: Oracle Linux 5u6 host, Vbox 4.1.12 or 14, Win7 guest, pulseaudio
|Reported by:||amatantsev||Owned by:|
No sound received by the pulseaudio daemon from the Windows 7 guest running on Oracle Linux 5.6.
PulseAudio daemon is running as a non-privileged user. It appears to be working when I play a wav sample with paplay.
The server does not have a built-in soundcard - the sound is redirected to the Sun Ray appliance by pulseaudio via the utaudio driver (Sun Ray Server) and the dsp character device it creates for the appliance. The sound DOES work using paplay. I have a similar set-up on another server where all is working with VMWare.
VBox logs show successful pulse connection. Logs for pulse audio daemon show same.
Things I tried:
- Vbox 4.1.14, same results
- Custom compiled VBox 4.1.14 - still nothing
- Fedora Live CD guest, no sound
- Win XP, SP3 guest, no sound
- asked the same question on the forum ( https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=49560&p=225562#p225562). The suggestion there was to try newer libsdl-1.2.14 - didn't help
- RDP from a windows machine straight to the windows 7 guest DOES get sound
- RDP from the same windows machine to the VBox remote display - DOES NOT get sound
- installed a local sound card on the server and was able to have the windows 7 guest to play sound on it using ALSA interface, however, when using pulseaudio driver - no sound from the guest going to the local card (paplay did play sounds to the local sound card on the server)
It appears that there is some mis-communication between the the VBox Guest driver and the pulse daemon.
VBox Log is attached.