[vbox-dev] building VirtualBox source with latest linux build toolchain??

John Lumby jlumby at bluecatnetworks.com
Thu Feb 8 22:11:22 GMT 2024

> I am trying to build VirtualBox source on my up-to-date archlinux amd-64bit system, which has toolchain versions
> gcc/g++ 13.2.1 20230801
> binutils     2.41.0

> I have tried building each of  7.0.14a and current trunk checked out by svn,    with different failures in each case,
> but each possibly indicating some kind of incompatibility with one of the compiler/assemblers
>
> For 7.0.14a ,     what I think is the fatal problem is this :

I abandoned attempts with this version - the header-file jungle is too complex for me!

> for current trunk,       there is no obvious single cause of overall failure  -    it is confusing (to me).
> I see four lines at various places all saying
> : error: warnings being treated as errors
> '
> the last of these occurs near the end is is preceded by
>
> kmk: /usr/lib64/qt6/bin/lrelease: Command not found
> kmk: *** [/opt/VirtualBox-rev102907/kBuild/units/qt6.kmk:612: /opt/VirtualBox-rev102907/out/linux.amd64/release/obj/VirtualBoxAPI/qtnls/VirtualBoxAPI_ru.qm] Error 127
> kmk: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
> : error: warnings being treated as errors
>
> my system does have qt6 and there is a directory /usr/lib64/qt6/bin with about 20 executables in it,
>  none of which is lrelease whatever that is,      and my system does have an executable file /sbin/lrelease

I created /usr/lib64/qt6/bin/lrelease as a direct link of /sbin/lrelease,
after which the build completed successfully.
I have no idea why VirtualBox build expects that file to exist nor why it is (apparently) specifying the full path,
maybe someone could address that?

Cheers,    John Lumby