[vbox-dev] development revision numbering

John Lumby jlumby at bluecatnetworks.com
Thu Sep 14 15:11:47 GMT 2023

Long ago I was advised how to obtain sourcecode and extpack in order to build a working VBox for a bleeding-edge linux kernel :   in brief

  checkout the open source from https://www.virtualbox.org/svn/vbox/trunk
 download the matching extpack from  Testbuilds  "Development snapshots"

This has always worked infallibly ,  most recently for kernel 6.5.3 (enormous kudos to you maintainers for keeping so up to date).

However  -    I would like to track the revision number of each build I make,      and I am baffled to find that there is no single,  consistent,   revision number between the source I get in step 1 and the extpack's announced revision number.        They are not even close.

E.g.  -
     yesterday I checked out the source and the last line of output stated
      Checked out revision 100800

I then go to development snapshots and find the current extpack is revision number 158812

Is there even such a thing as "current revision number of VirtualBox"?   And, if so, how do I find out what it is?    Of course,  I don't mind if the two numbers are off by a very small amount because of the time between my step 1 and step 2,   but clearly 158812 - 100800 is not a small amount.

Cheers,    John Lumby