[vbox-dev] Announcement: VirtualBox 7.0.12 released

Konstantin Vlasov flint at flint-inc.ru
Thu Oct 19 20:20:08 GMT 2023

Hi, Klaus.

> Really mysterious. I've double checked that the code in 7.0.12 was
> indeed copied from trunk, and we're successfully building the OSE
> variant (i.e. the same as would end up in a tarball) on macOS and
> Windows using the in-tree openssl code to make sure it works.

Maybe the directory is not cleaned up properly from the previous experiment?..
So that when you unpack the tarball, it overwrites the files, but the formerly
existing files also remain there, and are used for building, even if they were
not in the tarball. Sorry for playing Captain Obvious, of course, but it's the
only idea I could think of, why you managed to build it successfully...

Just in case there's something in my scripts that could have removed the files,
I've just opened the source tarball directly and looked inside - but no, these
files are really missing in the tarball.

(Just in case, I'm using Windows myself. I have not tried building for other
platforms.)

> We'll look into this further and probably provide a fixed 7.0.12 tarball.

Thanks!

> Just to state it: if course it is possible to build VirtualBox that it
> uses system openssl. Then the in-tree openssl code shouldn't be used.

Actually, that's what I've been doing for quite a long time. When I started
learning how to build VBox, I couldn't find a way for it to use the pre-supplied
libraries; so instead I started building both openssl and libcurl from upstream
sources.

Then someone pointed out to me that it was possible to use the built-in
libraries, after all. And when I compared them with upstream, I saw some
differences. No idea if they are important, but I surmised that they would not
be there otherwise. So I decided to use the built-in ones. Although the
configure.vbs script was not happy about it, and kept demanding externally
supplied libraries, so I had to comment out the check calls.

> Klaus

> On 2023-10-19 17:04, Konstantin Vlasov via vbox-dev wrote:
>> Hi, virtualboxers,
>>
>> And again, some files are missing in the tarball. :-)
>> When I tried to build, it failed on missing the header file
>> libs/openssl-3.13/include/internal/e_os.h
>>
>> I've compared with the trunk, and there are quite a few files missing. However,
>> I managed to build 7.0.12 by adding only the following ones:
>>
>> src/libs/openssl-3.1.3/include/crypto/context.h
>> src/libs/openssl-3.1.3/include/internal/e_os.h
>> src/libs/openssl-3.1.3/providers/common/include/prov/fipscommon.h
>> src/libs/openssl-3.1.3/providers/implementations/ciphers/cipher_aes_gcm_hw_vaes_avx512.inc
>>
>> Not sure if the rest of them are used only by the new trunk codebase, or maybe
>> they were left just for the sake of completeness. (Or maybe, they are optional
>> somehow, and can be used when present, and skipped when not, like some ciphers,
>> for example... I have not investigated that deeply.)
>>

>>> Hello,
>>
>>> Today Oracle released VirtualBox 7.0.12, a maintenance release of VirtualBox
>>> 7.0 which improves stability and fixes regressions.
>>
>>> See the change log at
>>
>>>     https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Changelog-7.0
>>
>>> for a list of changes.

Bye.                                    With best regards,
                                        Konstantin Vlasov.