[vbox-dev] The status of VirtualBox

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Mon Jul 12 16:44:41 GMT 2021

Hi John,

On 2021-07-10 07:11, John Zollo wrote:
>       What is the status of VirtualBox?  There are many unanswered
> reports in the Bugtracker.  Here are some of them:
>
> https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/18874
> https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/20381
> https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/20393
>
> Is this normal?  Is there a plan to address this issue?  Is this
> project, basically, dead?

This is in some sense normal. There are resource limitations (no, it's
not all of Oracle which is working on VirtualBox, but a dedicated team).
If something doesn't get attention by a developer reasonably soon
there's a chance it will need longer to get resolved. A clear
reproduction case helps greatly, and that's the issue with those
tickets. The user did the best to provide information, but still that is
no guarantee we'll see the same issue.

For the newer 2 tickets I asked a question which hopefully allows us to
pinpoint the area causing the problem (the questions I asked may look
arbitrary, but they're not).

VirtualBox is very much alive. Development of the next major release
with lots of improvements is very active.

On the other hand every bit of time invested into the next release isn't
available for hunting down bugs. It's a fine line.

Best,

Klaus