[vbox-dev] Network between host and guest

Dan Egli dan at newideatest.site
Fri Sep 25 06:10:11 GMT 2020

I tried looking this up online, but what seemed like should be the
answer failed.

I want to define a network that is JUST between the guest and the host,
but otherwise a full network. For example:

host -> guest:80 = Connected

guest-->host:22 = Connected

Guest->google:80 = Failed

I thought a NAT network was the answer, so I used vboxmanage to create
and start one. The guest sees it just fine, but the host cannot contact
the guest. I'd really appreciate an answer on this.  It's a special case
because the host only has an internet link through a cell phone's mobile
hot spot. But I want a stable network so that even if the hotspot isn't
present (thus killing a bridge through the WI-fi card) the two machines
can talk to each other.

I also tried setting up a dummy network on the unused Ethernet card and
bridging to that, to no avail.

Any help is greatly appreciated!