[vbox-dev] Windows 10 WDK/SDK and VCC 2019 toolset upgrade plans

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Fri Jun 26 19:16:20 GMT 2020

Hi Ribhi,

On 2020-06-25 15:38, Ribhi Kamal wrote:
> Thanks Klaus,
> Having no plan is a good plan.

To some extent I can relate to that concept...

> Here are Microsoft's own words, I'm going to put my understanding of
> each bullet point.
>
>     /Attestation signing has the following properties.
>     Attestation signing supports Windows 10 Desktop kernel mode and
>     user mode drivers. Although user mode drivers do not need to be
>     signed by Microsoft for Windows 10, the same attestation process
>     can be used for both user and kernel mode drivers./
>
> If vboxdrv is a user mode driver, I believe this means that it just
> needs to be signed by an EV cert and doesn't even require attestation.
> Only Pnp drivers and filter drivers require it.

It's a kernel driver of course, and all of them need attestation
signing. It's implementing a fully virtual device, so it can't really be
PnP. Windows 10 doesn't care about some of the at best partially correct
documents which Microsoft has published on drivers and signing.

>     /Attestation signing will not return the proper PE Level for ELAM
>     or Windows Hello PE binaries. These must be tested and submitted
>     as .hlkx packages to receive the additional signature attributes./
>
> We don't use ELAM or Windows Hello, so we don't care.
>
>     /Attestation signing requires the use of an EV Certificate to
>     submit the driver to the Partner Center.
>     An attestation signed driver works on Windows 10. It does not work
>     on earlier versions of Windows, such as Windows 8.1 and Windows 7,
>     and is not supported for Windows Server 2016 and later. For more
>     information about the support policy, see Support policy for
>     third-party, kernel-level software that is signed by using the
>     attestation process in Windows./
>
> Although I didn't personally test it, you won't be able to load your
> drivers on Server 2016 and above with just attestation. Windows 8.1
> might be an issue if secure boot is enabled. Windows 7 doesn't support
> secure boot as far as I recall, so that won't be an issue. Windows 8
> is an unknown.

Right, Windows Server allegedly isn't satisfied with attestation signing
- but for some odd reason I don't remember anyone complaining...

>     "So you're creating a chimera between kBuild for VirtualBox trunk
>     and the code of VirtualBox 6.1"
>
> I agree, that's why I stopped what I was doing. The problem is that I
> need to base my work on something that is release quality. I can work
> directly from trunk but as you said trunk is full of unfinished
> projects. My plan was to get it working with the latest 6.1 release
> and then try to apply the changes on top of trunk, but whatever
> changes I make will likely undo the work being done right now to
> support 2017. I think if there is an upgrade effort on your side, it
> makes a lot more sense to target 2019 instead.

2019 should be already working by now, but you didn't get that yet
because I didn't find time to trigger updating the public repo. And
today it's again already too late. Next week, I hope...

Klaus