[vbox-dev] Bug (?) in 6.1.16 r140961

Dan Egli dan at newideatest.site
Sat Dec 19 03:13:10 GMT 2020

I have discovered something that I think needs to be addressed. When
VirtualBox is first installed, the installer creates the "host only"
network adapter, and gives it a DHCP range of 192.168.56.101 - 254.
That's great, but the problem is that if you later go in and UNCHECK the
DHCP active box in the host-only network settings, it disables all the
fields, but DOESN'T kill the VirtualBox DHCP server! I was scratching my
head for some time when I saw a machine grabbing a 192.168.56.101
address when the DHCP server I started running on the host only network
has a range of 192.168.10.135 - 253. It wasn't until I remembered that
192.168.56/0 is the Virtual Box default DHCP range that I wondered. So I
went into settings and saw that it was disabled. But that didn't stop
it. I could see in my logs that MY DHCP server was hearing the request
and offering an IP, but that the offer was never acknowledged. Finally,
on a whim, I opened Task Manager on Windows 10. Sure enough, not one
but  THREE Virtual Box DHCP Server processes were running. I killed the
first, and all three went away. Once that was done the virtual box
requested an received an IP from MY DHCP server just fine.

In future versions, can there please be a simple bit of code that checks
the status of the DHCP server and if it's disabled in the settings, kill
any running instances?

--
Dan Egli
 From my Test Server