[vbox-dev] Request - Warnings when trying to install/use Test Builds while Secure Boot is On

Jacob Klein jacob_w_klein at msn.com
Thu Sep 19 14:21:42 GMT 2019

Hello folks,

I recently wasted a bit of time, trying to get VirtualBox to work on a new PC. I routinely have used Test Builds in the past several years, and had long since forgotten that "Secure Boot" needed to be disabled for them to work on a new PC.

I logged all information about the problem, and the resolution, here:
https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=94816
with invalid ticket here:
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/18944

Would you please consider these requests:

  *   Reword the Test Build page:
     *   Instead of saying "(the error message will point to unsigned drivers)", perhaps mention "(the error will point to not finding a driver, such as: VBoxDrvStub:  STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND)"

  *   Code changes to:
     *   Detect "Secure Boot" status
     *   Warn the user at Test-Build-install-time if it is on
     *   Mention "Secure Boot" if they get this error trying to start the VM on a Test Build.
     *   Note: HWiNFO64 detects Secure Boot (screenshots in forum post), and so it seems we could too!

... Hours of painful frustration over here, trying to track this down and log it ... all a preventable waste.
Trying to offer constructive feedback.

Thank you for considering these changes.
- Jacob Klein