[vbox-dev] Problem with kernel 5.4

Larry Finger Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net
Wed Sep 18 19:16:12 GMT 2019

In kernel 5.4, the wrapper routines set_pages_x() and set_pages_nx() that
enable/disable execution of memory are removed. The underlying routines
set_memory_x() and set_memory_nx() are not, and will not be exported. See
http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1909.2/02763.html for a discussion of
the issue.

I have currently disabled the only calls to these routines, which occur in
alloc-r0drv-linux.c. My test VMs appear to work OK.

Is there some case where allocated pages really need to be executable? If so,
then the developers at Oracle will need to consult with Linus to develop a
method that will be acceptable. In the meantime, I have developed a patch that
allows a build with kernel 5.4 that eliminates the offending calls.

Larry