[vbox-dev] Building on Debian 9 and 10

Lonnie Cumberland lonnie at outstep.com
Mon Oct 14 13:26:03 GMT 2019

Greetings All,

I want to build from the VirtualBox sources and have tested the setup on
Debian 9 "Stretch" and Debian 10 "Buster" but have found that when I try to
install the first set of required packages:

apt-get install gcc g++ bcc iasl xsltproc uuid-dev zlib1g-dev libidl-dev \
                libsdl1.2-dev libxcursor-dev libasound2-dev libstdc++5 \
                libhal-dev libpulse-dev libxml2-dev libxslt1-dev \
                python-dev libqt4-dev qt4-dev-tools libcap-dev \
                libxmu-dev mesa-common-dev libglu1-mesa-dev \
                linux-kernel-headers libcurl4-openssl-dev libpam0g-dev \
                libxrandr-dev libxinerama-dev libqt4-opengl-dev makeself \
                libdevmapper-dev default-jdk python-central \
                texlive-latex-base \
                texlive-latex-extra texlive-latex-recommended \
                texlive-fonts-extra texlive-fonts-recommended

Then at least the "python-central" and "libhal-dev" are not found.  There
may also be more, so I wanted to ask the developers list about how anyone
may have been able to compile on these Debian distros which I have started
with a fresh installation on each for testing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Lonnie