[vbox-dev] Fwd: Memory initialization

b38911 Zxc b38911 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 09:14:14 GMT 2019

Sorry, adding mailing list, I forgot.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
Da: b38911 Zxc <b38911 at gmail.com>
Date: mar 30 lug 2019 alle ore 11:12
Subject: Re: [vbox-dev] Memory initialization
To: Michal Necasek <michal.necasek at oracle.com>

Hi Michal.

Sure, I'll try to explain better what I mean:

- start virtualbox and start a Windows 10 guest system (allocating let's
say 4GB of RAM)
- start a specific software in the guest, which, after its exits, leave
some artefacts in RAM (like a specific portion of code in unallocated
memory). So far, so good, nothing strange.
- shutdown the guest system
- start again the guest system
- looking into the RAM (dumping it), I still see the same artefacts, even
if I didn't ran the same software as before. Like if the allocated RAM
(still 4GB) was not re-initialized to 0

This make sense if the initial allocation does not set memory to 0 (or
something else), since I'm not rebooting the host, so for sure these
artefacts are still in the host memory.
If you say that this is reset should be done, I'll try to re-run a set of
tests, may be I'm missing something. Consider that I'm running the VM with
--dbg option, not sure if this change something.

Thanks and let me know if you need more details on this.
Thanks