[vbox-dev] Links to ExtPack downloads are not the revision-numbered ones

Kalogrianitis Socratis socratisk at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 15:28:58 GMT 2019

On 21/Ιαν/2019, at 08:21, Michael Thayer <michael.thayer at oracle.com> wrote:

> Probably me and probably not intentional.  The question is, is there a
> reason to prefer one or the other, given that both work?

Michael,

Well, even if it's for historical reasons, I'd prefer the one with the revision as a link to the webpages. But more than just historical, it's a quick check that you actually have the correct version/revision.

On 21/Ιαν/2019, at 16:55, Gianfranco Costamagna <locutusofborg at debian.org> wrote:

> please don't forget about the automatic downloader that debian and ubuntu are using
> https://salsa.debian.org/pkg-virtualbox-team/virtualbox-ext-pack/blob/master/debian/postinst.in
>
> this relies on a custom fixed versioning scheme, and we might introduce the "revision" part in case you
> override the same file with different contents and then sha256 :)
>
> G.

Gianfranco,

The links on the webpage do not affect the availability or not of the with-revision or revision-less file, as they're both there. See for example the raw https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/6.0.2/

Socratis