[vbox-dev] possibly misleading reference to "VBox.sh" in scripts

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Jan 16 10:42:06 GMT 2019

On Wed, 16 Jan 2019, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   first time going through VBox [6.0.2] in real detail so currently
> proofreading and making notes. after installing on my fedora 29
> system, i noticed that there were a small number of references to
> "VBox.sh" in some of the installed scripts under /usr/lib/virtualbox:
>
> $ grep -rw VBox.sh *
> postinst-common.sh:# The below is GNU-specific.  See VBox.sh for the longer Solaris/OS X version.
> prerm-common.sh:# The below is GNU-specific.  See VBox.sh for the longer Solaris/OS X version.
> vboxdrv.sh:# The below is GNU-specific.  See VBox.sh for the longer Solaris/OS X version.
> $
>
>   however, i saw no such script VBox.sh installed anywhere on my
> system, so i svn checked out the source and found the spec file, where
> that script is renamed to simply "VBox":
>
>   VirtualBox.spec:mv VBox.sh $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/usr/bin/VBox
>
> everything works fine, of course, but the comment references in those
> earlier three scripts to "VBox.sh" have the potential to throw the
> reader who goes looking for VBox.sh and, obviously, won't find it.
>
>   thoughts?

  sorry, should have mentioned one more inconsistency in the scripts;
a couple references to "/usr/lib/VirtualBox":

$ grep -r "/usr/lib/VirtualBox" *
.../postinst-common.sh:# (e.g. /opt/VirtualBox, /usr/lib/VirtualBox, the build output directory).
.../prerm-common.sh:# (e.g. /opt/VirtualBox, /usr/lib/VirtualBox, the build output directory).

  while the first dir name (/opt/VirtualBox) appears to be correct,
the second should be /usr/lib/virtualbox, not /usr/lib/VirtualBox.

  for expediency, should i just submit patches to this list, just the
way i do for things like the linux kernel? i read the "contributing"
guidelines, and it seems like that would work.

rday

                  http://crashcourse.ca/dokuwiki