[vbox-dev] news for packaging VirtualBox 6

Larry Finger Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net
Thu Jan 3 14:06:43 GMT 2019

On 1/2/19 8:57 PM, Sérgio Basto wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For VirtualBox 6 we need add VirtualBoxVM to the package with set suid
> , and unset suid to VirtualBox binary to avoid problem reported on [5]
> .
>
> Also we don't need one patch anymore !
> On Debian, for patch [1] upstream now have one patch that fix this.
>
> On OpenSuse patches [2] and [3] may be replaced with
> VBOX_USE_SYSTEM_GL_HEADERS=1 and VBOX_NO_LEGACY_XORG_X11=1

Thanks for the updates on building the openSUSE version of VB. I'm still having
a problem in that Tumbleweed's version of rpmlint is failing the build because
/usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox is not built to be position independent. The
specific error is

virtualbox-qt.x86_64: E: non-position-independent-executable (Badness: 10000)
/usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox
  This executable must be position independent.  Check that it is built with
  -fPIE/-fpie in compiler flags and -pie in linker flags.

Although that sounds simple, I have not been able to find where to insert the
required compiler and linker flags. Help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Larry