[vbox-dev] Fixes for Kernel 5.3 wanted

Larry Finger Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net
Mon Aug 5 17:13:18 GMT 2019

On 8/5/19 11:30 AM, Valdis Klētnieks wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Aug 2019 10:50:47 -0500, Larry Finger said:
>
>>> /tmp/vbox.0/linux/VBoxNetFlt-linux.c:928:66: error: ‘skb_frag_t’ {aka ‘struct
>>> bio_vec’} has no member named ‘page_offset’; did you mean ‘bv_offset’?
>
>> I do not see these errors when building the kernel modules with kernel
>> 5.3.0-rc3. The patch I posted is sufficient for me. Note I am using an
>> unmodified kernel from mainline. A kernel obtained from a disto might have other
>> modifications.
>
> This isn't a 5.3.0-rc3 issue.
>
> The kernel patches causing the issue are a set of 7 a in the linux-next tree
> and targeting the 5.4 kernel .  As such, Cyrax's patch is incorrect, for production
> it should be comparing >= 5.4.0.   It will however DTRT on a linux-next kernel
> that calls itself 5.3.something, but will *not* work on a mainline Linus tree.

What I do during the merge of a new kernel, before -rc1 is released is to
manually edit the Makefile to increment the kernel version and make the
EXTRA_VERSION be -rc0. That way the conditional statements work with mainline.

I have enough trouble keeping up with mainline, thus I leave -next alone.

Larry