[vbox-dev] Updating VirtualBox consumption of IMAGE_LOAD_CONFIG_DIRECTORY*

Jon Kunkee jkunkee at microsoft.com
Thu Sep 20 23:29:47 GMT 2018

Hi,

I'm a software engineer on in the Windows group at Microsoft. My team recently added a pointer-sized field to IMAGE_LOAD_CONFIG_DIRECTORY32 and IMAGE_LOAD_CONFIG_DIRECTORY64 that is non-NULL on 32-bit x86 Windows 10 systems in the current Insider Preview.

It seems that VirtualBox does some extensive validation of this structure, so it now exits with an error when it sees this field in use.

I filed a ticket about it:
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/17977

If I grokked the bug filing page right, it's proper to ask about it here too.

Adjusting the VirtualBox validation to handle a new field in this struct has been done before, so hopefully it's easy to do again. (I linked two of the previous tickets in the History section.)

In the longer term, is there a way for the validation to not break so easily?

Thanks,
Jon