[vbox-dev] need patch for kernel-4.16-rc1

Sérgio Basto sergio at serjux.com
Sat Mar 10 03:55:17 GMT 2018

On Fri, 2018-03-09 at 20:40 -0600, Larry Finger wrote:
> On 02/18/2018 07:36 PM, Sérgio Basto wrote:
> > On Mon, 2018-02-19 at 00:22 +0000, Sérgio Basto wrote:
> > > Hello
> > > vbox 5.2.6 fails to build kmods for kernel-4.16-rc1 error log in
> > > attach
> >
> > After remove vboxvideo from kmods build ( ernel-4.16-rc1 have
> > vboxvideo , I don't know if still as stage module ...) it builds
> > fine .
> >
> > Also VirtualBox 5.2.6 builds fine with GCC8 !
>
> In case you want to build module with vboxvideo with kernel 4.16-rcX
> as I had to
> do, the patch is attached. This material is released under an MIT
> license.

Hi,
Cool thanks
I have some point to discus, I don't know from where to start .
Checking virtualbox-5.2.8-382.2.src.rpm from software.opensuse.org .
and the virtualbox.spec I sse that you don't have the new 2 kmk
variables VBOX_USE_SYSTEM_GL_HEADERS=1 and VBOX_NO_LEGACY_XORG_X11=1

With VBOX_NO_LEGACY_XORG_X11=1 you may drop
remove_vbox_video_build.patch and also IIRC Fix_for_server_1.19.patch

With VBOX_NO_LEGACY_XORG_X11=1 you may drop virtualbox-system-x.patch
internal-headers.patch is also around vboxvideo so I guess you also may
drop it .

and I'd like review other patches and diffs of src.rpm ... In other day
we talked about one patch from src.rpm to boot with pxe IIRC and if the
patch is useful, we should upstream it (we may open a ticket for one
patch) or at least I'd like use it in "my" packages .

Other subject since kernel 4.16 we also have vboxguest in kernel
vanilla. The vboxguest driver lives under drivers/virt.
And we already had vboxvideo, vboxvideo is still in drivers/staging.

These modules are enable in Fedora kernels (vboxguest only in 4.16), so
I don't need build vboxvideo.ko and vboxsf is in review to enter in
kernel.

Cheers,
--
Sérgio M. B.