[vbox-dev] [VBox-users] VirtualBox (vboxdrv) installation FAILED on new Windows 7 PC

Konstantin Vlasov flint at flint-inc.ru
Thu Jun 7 10:33:13 GMT 2018

Hi, Alexey.

What does your registry key have for this driver?
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\VBoxDrv

I have a self-built VBox installed on two computers with Windows 7, both UEFI,
never had similar problems. The only real difference is, I'm using a
no-hardening build. Maybe something is injected that VB does not like?..
Although I doubt it would show "cannot find file" in this case.

And, I know it's silly, but did you make sure to see the real system32, not the
substituted syswow64? Even experienced users forget about this sometimes.

> One thing is special about this Windows 7 PC: It uses UEFI.
> All the other dozens of my Windows 7 PCs, where VirtualBox works like
> a charm, all use BIOS.
> Maybe some kind of security properties do differ somehow.
> ---

> Event Viewer:
> System/Information
> ---
> A service was installed in the system.

> Service Name:  VBox Support Driver
> Service File Name:  C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxDrv.sys
> Service Type:  kernel mode driver
> Service Start Type:  demand start
> Service Account:
> ---
> System/Error

> The VBox Support Driver service failed to start due to the following error:
> ---
> In reality the driver file exists:
> C:\Windows\System32\drivers\vboxdrv.sys
> and
> C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\drivers\vboxdrv.sys

> yet, it is completely absent from Windows Device Manager (driver list).
> So the driver was copied, but not installed.

Bye.                                    With best regards,
                                        Konstantin Vlasov.