[vbox-dev] A couple of documentation changes: registervm, addencpassword, Windows GAs

Kalogrianitis Socratis socratisk at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 06:29:18 GMT 2018

1. registervm extra requirements not valid

Ch. 8.6 "VBoxManage registervm / unregistervm" states:

> The registervm command allows you to import a virtual machine definition in an XML file into VirtualBox. The machine must not conflict with one already registered in VirtualBox and it may not have any hard or removable disks attached.

Well, the "... and it may not have any hard or removable disks attached." is not a valid statement, needs to be deleted.

2. addencpassword clarification

Encrypting a VM from the GUI doesn't ask you (or make it clear) what the <id> is. It so happens that it's the name of the VM itself. The part in the manual that discusses the option:

> addencpassword <id> <password file>|- [--removeonsuspend <yes|no>]

it's not clear that if you do this from the command line with "VBoxManage controlvm addencpassword..." , that <id>==VMname. I had to go poking in the .vbox file to see what the ID was.

Reference: https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=86737

3. Windows GAs
Ch. 4.2.1.1 Installation

> A Windows guest should then automatically start the Guest Additions installer, which installs the Guest Additions into your Windows guest. Other guest operating systems (or if automatic start of software on CD is disabled) need manual start of the installer.

the "Other guest operating systems" part should be gone. We *are* on the Windows guests section, what does "other" refer to? And part b), the sentence should be amended to include the name of the GAs installer. So, the above should read:

> Unless you have the Autostart feature disabled in your Windows guest, Windows will now autostart the VirtualBox Guest Additions installation program from the Additions ISO. If the Autostart feature has been turned off, choose "VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe" from the CD/DVD drive inside the guest to start the installer.

which is almost a copy/paste of the procedure described in the Manual Steps, just further below (just added the quotes in "VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe").

On the same subject... The manual steps? They need an update:
- There is no "Mount CD/DVD-ROM" menu anymore.
- The Virtual Media Manager is not involved.
So, it could read something like:

1. Start the virtual machine in which you have installed Windows *and log in*.
3. Browse your host file system for the VBoxGuestAdditions.iso file:
   * On a ...
   * On a ...
4. This will mount the ISO file and present it to your Windows guest as a CD-ROM. Unless you have the Autostart feature...

Socratis