[vbox-dev] VirtualBox official debug builds/debug symbols

Michael Thayer michael.thayer at oracle.com
Wed Apr 11 08:30:36 GMT 2018

Hello Both,

On the whole the debug build should be usable for day to day work for a
developer (not for an innocent person of course).  Assertions can be
made non-fatal by either running in the debugger ("gdb VBoxSVC" in one
terminal and "gdb --args VirtualBox --startvm ..." in another) - the
preferred option - or setting the environment variable VBOX_ASSERT=no.
See the source file src/VBox/Runtime/VBox/RTAssertShouldPanic-vbox.cpp.
I must admit that I was never happy with the "gdb" option, to the extent
that I added the "wait" option for myself, but feel free to experiment.

I would certainly recommend trying to investigate using a debug version.
 That said, you can also build your own release version.  Building with
"VBOX_WITHOUT_HARDENING=1" set will probably make you happier either way.

Regards
Michael