[vbox-dev] Unable to start VBox

John Frankish john.frankish at outlook.com
Tue May 9 06:11:41 GMT 2017

> > After compiling VirtualBox-5.1.22 for linux, I am unable to start it.
> >
> > I'd be grateful for any suggestions on how to fix this.
> >
> > ----------
> > snip
> >
> don't ask me why only strace shows the message (which is written to
> stderr, so should be visible when you run VirtualBox by hand):

In fact now that I try again, I see that message (i965, swrast) only seems to have appeared when I ran VirtualBox with sudo

> VirtualBox: Error -10 in SUPR3HardenedMain!
> VirtualBox: Effective UID is not root (euid=1001 egid=50 uid=1001 gid=50)
>
> VirtualBox: Tip! It may help to reinstall VirtualBox.
>
> Error -10 is "access denied", and the next line complains that the
> executable isn't installed as setuid root.

..but /usr/local/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox is suid root...

> No idea which "make install" you're talking about... VirtualBox can't be
> installed in such a way. Must be a VERY strange recipe you're following
> (might have been applicable to some old 4.x builds, but certainly not to
> anything recent).

Indeed, how can I have forgotten that the virtualbox source does not work like any other and I had to install it by hand :P

> BTW, what's that %U rubbish in the command line? Looks wrong to me
> (smells like some desktop env parameter placeholder), but on the other
> hand shouldn't do too much harm. I'd leave it out.

That "rubbish" was taken from the virtualbox desktop file, but you're right, it works (or doesn't work) just as well without it.