[vbox-dev] End To Display Encryption VBox

Sotirios Pavlidis sotirios.pavlidis at student.uni-tuebingen.de
Wed May 3 10:27:44 GMT 2017

Hello Developers,

I am currently working on my bachelor thesis about End To Display
Encryption in VirtualBox.
What I need to know is where the picture is drawn or where there is a
vram access or something similar to that.
I first found the UIFramebuffer.cpp file but this was too far up in
the hierarchy such that I had to go further down.
Then I found the Graphics folder in /src/VBox/Devices/ which seems the
right point to me. I've already found the vga_draw_line function, but
this is for older operating systems. As far as I can see, newer
operating systems use VBE (Vesa BIOS Extensions) but I just can't find
anything useful to manipulate the picture being processed.

So I'm asking you: is the VGA Device the lowest level of the graphics
hierarchy? And if so, where can I manipulate the picture drawn to the
VM display?

I would be really thankful if someone could help me out.
Thanks in advance, Soto.