[vbox-dev] 3d pass-through and gnome-shell ?

Michael Thayer michael.thayer at oracle.com
Tue Jun 27 15:50:07 GMT 2017

Hello Hans,

27.06.2017 15:17, Hans de Goede wrote:
[...]
> On 06/27/2017 01:46 PM, Michael Thayer wrote:
[Discussion of 3D problems in Fedora VirtualBox guests, of ld.so.conf
trickery used to put 3D libraries in place, but not completing in time
for the display manager and of adjusting the systemd service to make it
work.]
>> The service is mislabled - it should actually be a oneshot, and it does
>> not fork at all.  It is simply this way because systemd service files
>> are generated at install time from our sysv init scripts and once they
>> were working well enough I no longer found free time to polish them
>> further.
>
> Ah, ok, yes just making it oneshot and add the Before is fine then :)

I will do that when I have enough time to task switch to that, but given
that it will slow down everything else I am doing it will probably not
happen until I have to make bigger changes.  That said, that might be
necessary to add the display-manager.service dependency.

[...]

> Back to 3d passthrough any idea why F26 is showing a black screen ?
[...]
Actually I do - it is because of our X11-only EGL library, which
gnome-shell doesn't like.  When I disable that both Wayland
(unaccelerated) and X11 (accelerated) sessions work.  The EGL library is
not doing much good anyway - I added it when Qt went EGL-only, but as
soon as I had added it they went back to GLX.  I don't think anyone will
miss it.

Will try to get those fixes committed tomorrow so that I can get back to
vboxvideo, updating from your v4 and looking at adding atomic.

Regards
Michael
--
Michael Thayer | VirtualBox engineer
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Werkstr. 24 | D-71384 Weinstadt

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Hauptverwaltung: Riesstraße 25, D-80992 München

Hertogswetering 163/167, 3543 AS Utrecht, Niederlande Handelsregister
der Handelskammer Midden-Nederland, Nr. 30143697