[vbox-dev] 3d pass-through and gnome-shell ?

Michael Thayer michael.thayer at oracle.com
Tue Jun 27 09:34:26 GMT 2017

Hello Hans,

26.06.2017 18:12, Hans de Goede wrote:
[Discussion of 3D problems in Fedora VirtualBox guests and ld.so.conf
trickery used to put 3D libraries in place, but not completing in time
for the display manager.]
> Ok, I understand, this is easy to fix:
>
> 1) Split out the bits which do the ld.so.conf trickery from the rest of
> the guest service, so that we've a binary or script which will run, do
> the ld.so.conf stuff if necessary and then exit. The idea here is that
> the exit of the process indicates the ld.so.conf stuff is done.
>
> 2) Give this its own systemd .service file with:
>
> [Unit]
> Before=display-manager.service
>
> [Service]
> Type=oneshot
> RemainAfterExit=yes
>
> And then systemd will not start gdm until the ld.so.conf stuff has
> finished
>
> 3) profit :)

Or just add display-manager.service to the Before= line in
vboxadd.service.  In fact, the other things in there are needed for the
3D support detection too.  I tested this and it lets me start both a
Wayland session and an accelerated X11 one.

> Note we would still need to figure out a way to make gdm use X11 if
> Wayland will not work with the 3d pass-through, but that is easy too,
> simplest way is to edit:
>
> /etc/gdm/custom.conf
>
> And in the [daemon] Section set:
> WaylandEnable=false

I did think of this, though given the number of problems our 3D has on
Linux guests I am still wondering whether it is worth it just now.  For
example Fedora 26 Alpha hangs loading the session (or at boot with the
Before= fix) when 3D is enabled.

[...]

Regards
Michael
--
Michael Thayer | VirtualBox engineer
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Werkstr. 24 | D-71384 Weinstadt

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Hauptverwaltung: Riesstraße 25, D-80992 München

Hertogswetering 163/167, 3543 AS Utrecht, Niederlande Handelsregister
der Handelskammer Midden-Nederland, Nr. 30143697