[vbox-dev] Windows build requirements for MinGW

Konstantin Vlasov flint at flint-inc.ru
Mon Jun 26 17:16:33 GMT 2017

Hi,

The wiki page https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Windows%20build%20instructions
says that for 32-bit build one requires MinGW 3.3.3. Why exactly this version? I
tried to build VB using MinGW32 version 4.5.4 (the same rubenvb build as
MinGW64), and it compiled without problems (except that I had to patch
configure.vbs, obviously). I did not test yet whether it works, though...

The only thing I did not compile is Guest Additions. Is it for them that version
3.3.3 is needed? Or, maybe, some runtime compatibility with older systems (like
WinXP)? Or is it just legacy restriction not required anymore but forgotten to
be updated?

--
Bye.                                    With best regards,
                                        Konstantin Vlasov.