[vbox-dev] [PROPOSAL] Mainline vboxguest Kernel Module for Linux

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Tue Jun 6 15:16:29 GMT 2017

Hi Alex,

On 05/26/2017 03:21 AM, Alex Pavel wrote:
> Hello! I have been looking again at how to implement the passing of a config file to our Ignition first boot provisioner, which would allow us to fully, officially support VirtualBox. For reference, see https://www.virtualbox.org/pipermail/vbox-dev/2016-September/014057.html.
>
> We would like to be able to use Guest Properties to accomplish this, but the Guest Additions module being out-of-tree is a big problem for us, as we only ship vanilla kernel (no out-of-tree modules). This leaves us with two options:
> 1. Mainline the VirtualBox guest modules into the Linux kernel (specifically vboxguest, as that exposes the guest properties interface)

For Fedora 27 we want to make Fedora 27 a fully integrated VirtualBox guest,
As such I've been working for the last couple of weeks on getting the VirtualBox
guest kernel drivers merged into the mainline Linux kernel.

<snip>

> This brings us to the main question/proposal. Would it be a possibility to submit the VirtualBox guest modules to be merged into the mainline kernel?

Yes, this is possible and I'm working om making this happen, see:

http://hansdegoede.livejournal.com/17743.html

Regards,

Hans