[vbox-dev] 3d pass-through and gnome-shell ?

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Tue Jul 4 12:38:51 GMT 2017

Hi,

On 01-07-17 21:53, Michael Thayer wrote:
> Hello Hans,
>
> 27.06.2017 20:46, Hans de Goede wrote:
> [...]
>> On 06/27/2017 05:50 PM, Michael Thayer wrote:
> [...]
>>> 27.06.2017 15:17, Hans de Goede wrote:
> [Discussion of 3D problems with Fedora 25 and 26 guests.]
>>> [...]
>>> Actually I do - it is because of our X11-only EGL library, which
>>> gnome-shell doesn't like.  When I disable that both Wayland
>>> (unaccelerated) and X11 (accelerated) sessions work.  The EGL library is
>>> not doing much good anyway - I added it when Qt went EGL-only, but as
>>> soon as I had added it they went back to GLX.  I don't think anyone will
>>> miss it.
>>
>> Thank you for the insight I will give things a try with the EGL lib
>> removed.
>
> See r67736[1].
>
> [1] https://www.virtualbox.org/changeset/67736/vbox

Cool, thank you.

So I can confirm that with these changes gnome-shell works with 3d
pass through, but running an other OpenGL app under gnome-shell does
not really work well. Window decorations are missing, windows cannot
be dragged / clicked to focus and things become very slow.

I guess these are all known issues?

Anyways I will still keep 3d passthrough enabled for now as it is
useful to test various vboxguest kmod code paths.

Regards,

Hans