[vbox-dev] Kernel API changes for kernel 4.10

Frank Mehnert frank.mehnert at oracle.com
Fri Jan 6 14:06:53 GMT 2017

Hi Larry,

On Dienstag, 3. Januar 2017 21:48:06 CET Larry Finger wrote:
> On 12/27/2016 11:16 AM, Larry Finger wrote:
> > On 12/27/2016 10:56 AM, Larry Finger wrote:
> >> In kernel 4.10-rc1, the kernel routines register_cpu_notifier() and
> >> unregister_cpu_notifier() have been removed and their function replaced by
> >> callbacks from the hotplug state machine. After looking at the changes required
> >> in some other drivers, I have seen that the required changes will not be
> >> trivial. Before I start doing the work, I want to know if the changes have been
> >> started and/or done by Oracle.
> >
> > One thing I failed to mention. Commit 7fd8329ba502 in 4.10-rc1 also messes up
> > the ability to define true/false in an out-of-kernel driver. I have submitted a
> > kernel patch to fix this
> > (http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1612.3/00086.html), but it has not
> > yet been merged or received any comments.
>
> My patch was merged today. It has not yet hit mainline, but I expect it to be
> there as of 4.10-rc3. I still have no fix for the missing
> register_cpu_notifier(), etc.

thanks for the information. I assume we will do it like the Linux kernel and use
cpuhp_setup_state_nocalls() to register CPU hotplug callbacks. But before we can
provide a fix we need to do a few tests.

Kind regards,

Frank
--
Dr.-Ing. Frank Mehnert | Software Development Director, VirtualBox
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Werkstr. 24 | 71384 Weinstadt, Germany

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Hauptverwaltung: Riesstraße 25, D-80992 München