[vbox-dev] Very nice, that you have started integrating Unattended Installer

Alexey Eromenko al4321 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 09:49:01 GMT 2017

I see that your work is based, at least in part, on my previous patch and
research paper. Very nice.

A small note:
I suggest to move the whole section of "construct VM ()" from "new VM
wizard" and into Main Code.

Why ?

This way it will allow us to construct both normal VMs *and* unattended VMs
from CLI, instead of GUI, and add all suggested hardware controllers and
disks quickly.

I didn't do it my patch, because the change would be pretty invasive, and I
wanted to keep things clam and conservative.

Nowadays, if you create a VM from CLI (or API), you will need to manually
know which audio and which disk controller to use for a particular guest
OS, and if you try to create an Unattended Install VM from CLI, it will
break down awfully, . (even using IMachine::IUnattended Main API)

The whole "suggested hardware" mechanism for new VM needs to be moved from
GUI into Main API, "IMachine".

===
Another question:
In file Main/idl/VirtualBox.xidl
<https://www.virtualbox.org/changeset/64994/vbox/trunk/src/VBox/Main/idl/VirtualBox.xidl>

You seem to be using a new parameter:
  3815    <attribute name="imageIndex" type="unsigned short">
  3816      <desc>
  3817        The image index on installation CD\DVD used to install.
  3818        Used only with Windows installation CD\DVD
  3819      </desc>
  3820    </attribute>

Why is it needed ?
--