[vbox-dev] Enabling 3D acceleration with VBoxOGL and VBoxECL

Larry Finger Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net
Wed Feb 22 06:43:13 GMT 2017

On 02/19/2017 01:39 PM, Michael Thayer wrote:
> Don't know if this is confusing, but the command returns true or false, as in
> "if /usr/bin/VBoxClient --check3d; then" in a shell script.  In that case
> VBoxOGL.so and VBoxEGL.so should be set up to replace the default Mesa
> libOGL.so.* and libEGL.so.*.  Our installer uses ld.so.conf.d for this.

Michael,

I have made considerable progress, but I'm stuck. The vboxadd script is creating
the links correctly; however, 3D acceleration is not working.

One thing that bothers me is that once ldconfig is run, there are two additional
links created. The contents of /var/lib/VBoxGuestAdditions/lib is as follows:

finger at linux-utfd:~> ls -l /var/lib/VBoxGuestAdditions/lib/
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 34 Feb 22 00:28 libEGL.so.1 ->
/opt/VBoxGuestAdditions/VBoxEGL.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 34 Feb 22 00:28 libGL.so.1 ->
/opt/VBoxGuestAdditions/VBoxOGL.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Feb 22 00:28 VBoxEGL.so -> libEGL.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Feb 22 00:28 VBoxOGL.so.1 -> libGL.so.1

I think those last two are messing up the library loading. Any ideas on what
might be wrong?

Thanks,

Larry