[vbox-dev] Patches for OSX 10.12 and 10.13 guests

Frank Mehnert frank.mehnert at oracle.com
Mon Aug 21 09:03:55 GMT 2017

Hi Socratis,

On Sonntag, 20. August 2017 07:38:16 CEST Kalogrianitis Socratis wrote:
> The templates for OSX 10.12, 10.13 were added in rev. https://www.virtualbox.org/changeset/68314/vbox. Thank you! And for backporting it to the 5.1.x series as well!
>
> However, I think that there may be more that need to be changed. Here's a series of patches that I believe should be applied:
>
> - In 'configure' add support for building VirtualBox in 10.13. Haven't tested it fully, there may be more needed. Will know by tomorrow.

Done.

> - In 'doc/manual/en_US/user_Introduction.xml' include 10.13 as a supported guest (I know, forward looking statement).

Actually this section is about hosts not guests but sorry, we will rather not do that until macOS 10.13 is released and we tested VirtualBox on the new OS release...

> - In 'src/VBox/Frontends/VirtualBox/src/globals/UIDefs.h' and 'src/VBox/Frontends/VirtualBox/src/globals/VBoxGlobal.cpp' the definitions were missing.

Not necessary. This statement will be added once there are special cases for Sierra / High Sierra. For now these OS versions are covered by MacOSXRelease_New.

> - In 'src/VBox/Frontends/VirtualBox/src/wizards/newvm/UIWizardNewVMPageBasic1.cpp' copy/paste errors in the 3-letter auto-recognition of the OS.

Done.

> - In 'src/libs/xpcom18a4/python/Makefile.kmk' a slight change to a comment to let you know that 10.13 still uses Python 2.7.

Probably true but I would change the comment not before 10.13 is released.

> - There are two more questions:
> 1) Is there anything that needs to be done in terms of font substitution in 'src/VBox/Frontends/VirtualBox/src/main.cpp:382' (r68467), and

No, according to our GUI developer, Sierra was the first release where no font substitution was required.

> 2) I assume that in lines 336 and 436 of 'src/VBox/Frontends/VirtualBox/src/runtime/normal/UIMachineWindowNormal.cpp' (r68467) this is where the zoom button for the VM window is handled, according to the 1st bullet item of the 5.0.8 changelog. That should stay as is, I'm just asking if there is anything for me to test.

You might just want to test want the changelog entry suggests: "... this [the zoom] button should work accordingly to the Apple HIG: Full-screen by default, maximize if the user holds the Option key."

> [...]

Thanks!

Frank
--
Dr.-Ing. Frank Mehnert | Software Development Director, VirtualBox
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Werkstr. 24 | 71384 Weinstadt, Germany

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Hauptverwaltung: Riesstraße 25, D-80992 München