[vbox-dev] Removing code only used by no longer supported hosts (was Opportunity to significantly shrink the vboxsf Linux driver)

Knut St. Osmundsen knut.osmundsen at oracle.com
Tue Aug 8 14:56:16 GMT 2017

Hi Hans,

vgdrvInitFixateGuestMappings cannot be removed, that is still used when
running guests in raw-mode.  Raw-mode still have its uses even on hosts
with hardware virtualization support.  Like for instance running VBox
inside a guest OS (i.e. nested virtualization without needing nested
hardware virtualization), or when some other hypervisor don't want to
share VT-x/AMD-V with us.

vgdrvReportGuestInfo can probably drop the pre 3.2.51 else code path
without anything bad happening.

-bird