[vbox-dev] Do guest VMs communicate with external file systems through the host

Paul Paulsrsmith at live.co.uk
Mon Oct 10 13:06:13 GMT 2016

Hi,

I have a guest Windows VM under Redhat and the host is clustered with 2 other Redhat nodes. All three nodes can see a GFS2 SAN SCSI storage device.
The GFS2 file system is mounted on a folder on the 3 RH nodes and is also set as a shared folder in Virtualbox so all 3+1 machines can now see the SAN storage.

So my question is about file locking. Does the Windows VM talk to the SAN file system through the host kernel, if so then I believe the clustered file locking should work fine, if not then it definitely won't.
Thank you for reading

Regards

Paul