[vbox-dev] Script to display snapshot media tree in CLI

Miroslav Matějů melebius at gmail.com
Thu May 26 08:10:38 GMT 2016

Hi Klaus,

> Hi Miroslav,
>
> On 19.05.2016 14:36, Miroslav Matějů wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I’ve created a Python script to list the hierarchy of virtual disks in
>> command-line interface. It helps to get a quick reference of the
>> snapshot sizes. This can be viewed in Virtual Media Manager in GUI,
>> however I need to do it on a headless server.
>

> What's unclean about the script is that it's scraping the info out of
> VBoxManage. Python (up to VirtualBox 5.0.x only python 2.x, we're working on
> covering python 3.x with 5.1, which isn't 100% complete) can talk to the
> VirtualBox API, which gives it direct access to the information.
>
> Klaus

Thanks for your comment. I was not seeking the information about
VirtualBox API after I saw all the necessary information in a
machine-readable format in the output of VBoxManage. I should have
written that my way is most likely a quick and dirty one. However, it
still may help directly or inspire someone to make a more correct
solution.

Best regards,

Miroslav