[vbox-dev] debug version of VirtualBox coredumps

Frank Mehnert frank.mehnert at oracle.com
Mon May 23 09:20:58 GMT 2016

Hi Tomas,

On Sunday 22 May 2016 12:37:48 Tomas Hurka wrote:
> I am trying to run debug version of VirtualBox with logging enabled and
> VirtualBox (current version compiled from sources) coredumps. I am using
> the following env. properties to enable logging: export VBOX_LOG=main.e.l.f
> export VBOX_LOG_FLAGS="time tid thread"
> export VBOX_LOG_DEST=dir=/tmp/vbox
>
> VirtualBox crashes while starting with the following back-trace:
> [...]
>
> I found out that the crash is caused by some strange formatting used at
> VirtualBoxClientImpl.cpp:147 (frame #16). There is the following line:
> LogFlowThisFunc(("rc=%hrc\n", rc));
> There are similar usages of LogFlowThisFunc, but all use "rc=%Rrc\n”, so I
> replaced above line with: LogFlowThisFunc(("rc=%Rrc\n", rc));
> and this fixed the crash for me.
>
> Is this a known problem?

thank you! Your analysis is correct and the format specifier was wrong
(very recent regression). Fixed (together with another bogus format
specifier) in

  https://www.virtualbox.org/changeset/61117/vbox

Kind regards,

Frank
--
Dr.-Ing. Frank Mehnert | Software Development Director, VirtualBox
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Werkstr. 24 | 71384 Weinstadt, Germany

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Hauptverwaltung: Riesstraße 25, D-80992 München