[vbox-dev] Virtualbox don't restore FPU segments with 32-bit guests while using xsave/xrstor

Michal Necasek michal.necasek at oracle.com
Tue May 17 14:05:25 GMT 2016

    Hi Quentin,

  A couple of minor points:

  - VM exits are not only triggered by guest code but also by external
interrupts arriving on the host; that introduces a nice element of
unpredictability into the mix

  - Some x86 CPUs may only save the FP data pointer on FP exceptions;
however, the FP instruction pointer should still be saved always

  - One of the situations that could cause problems is when the VM
process gets rescheduled on a different host CPU and the guest FPU state
needs to be correctly saved/loaded; again unpredictable when that happens

  I'm still not certain why your testcase always immediately fails on a
64-bit host OS. I suspect that the OS actively destroys the FP CS/DS
while manipulating the 64-bit FPU state, which is probably forced by the
signal processing.

  This whole thing was really poorly designed on the hardware level and
I don't understand why there's no instruction that can save/restore the
full FPU state at once (16-bit segments + 64-bit offsets). Then again
Intel clearly wants to get away from tracking the CS/DS completely which
also "solves" the issue. It actually causes problems for some existing
software because FP exception handlers will fail/crash when CS/DS is
invalid.

  Anyway, your patch should solve the problem on the affected CPUs.
We'll take another look at it (too easy to get something wrong with
assembler) but I think it's doing the right thing.

     Thanks,
       Michal