[vbox-dev] Virtualbox don't restore FPU segments with 32-bit guests while using xsave/xrstor

quentin buathier qbuathier at tetrane.com
Fri May 13 12:54:12 GMT 2016

Hi Frank,

When we run a FPU instruction on a x86 system, FPU CS and DS are set to the
same value as the CS and DS registers. This is an historical reason where
FPU is an individual chip with its own registers. So, the expected
behaviour of this sample is to run forever on a guest x86.

On a x86_64 system, this is different because it removes this historical
behavior and the FPU segments are always set to 0. So, if you run this
sample on a x86_64 system, it's the normal behaviour to have "segs unset 1".

The problem is that Virtualbox doesn't restore properly FPU CS and DS when
it uses xsave/xrstor, but does it if it uses fxsave/fxrstor. The problem
happens randomly and I think that it's cause by the switch between guest
code execution and host code execution (when Virtualbox save the guest
state, restore the host state and after the host code execution repeated
those operations in reverse order).

My patch fixes that problem by using the same behaviour than for fxsave /
fxrstor to save CS and DS when using xsave / xrstor in that particular case.