[vbox-dev] Control video capture from VBox API

Frank Mehnert frank.mehnert at oracle.com
Tue Mar 29 07:46:04 GMT 2016

Anna,

On Monday 28 March 2016 14:09:25 Anna Fischer wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out how to start a video capture operation from the
> VBox API. I cannot find any commands for this in IMachine, or IConsole. Can
> anyone give me a hint?

a good starting point for such questions is always VBoxManage. This command
line tool is an example how to use the API. VBoxManageControlVM.cpp shows
how to change the state of a VM at runtime. The implementation of

  'VBoxManage controlvm VM_NAME videocap on|off'

is probably what you are looking for. While this is about enabling/disabling
video capturing at VM runtime, the implementation of

  'VBoxManage modifyvm VM_NAME --videocap on|off'

is different. It's about how to change the permanent VM setting. If this
setting is enabled, the VM video output will be automatically captured when
the VM starts. There is some magic in determining the file name to be used
(i.e. for multiple screens or if one file name already exists, see
Display::i_VideoCaptureStart() in src/VBox/Main/src-client/DisplayImpl.cpp)

Kind regards,

Frank
--
Dr.-Ing. Frank Mehnert | Software Development Director, VirtualBox
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Werkstr. 24 | 71384 Weinstadt, Germany

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Hauptverwaltung: Riesstraße 25, D-80992 München