[vbox-dev] (no subject)

Frank Mehnert frank.mehnert at oracle.com
Thu Jan 28 08:22:58 GMT 2016

Austin,

On Wednesday 27 January 2016 23:28:55 Austin English wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 1:56 AM, Frank Mehnert <frank.mehnert at oracle.com>
wrote:
> > On Wednesday 27 January 2016 00:13:18 Austin English wrote:
> >> Well, Virtualbox hadn't compiled, I was hitting
> >> https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/1499.
> >>
> >> Using a 32-bit kernel instead, I was able to get VirtualBox 4.3.32 to
> >> build. The results:
> >>
> >> # hardened, no sudo
> >> amnesia at amnesia:/media/amnesia/e3f702b9-64b4-40c2-96c3-ef6cf856e129/Virtu
> >> alB ox-4.3.32/out/linux.x86/release/bin$ ./VirtualBox
> >> VirtualBox: Error -10 in SUPR3HardenedMain!
> >> VirtualBox: Effective UID is not root (euid=1000 egid=1000 uid=1000
> >> gid=1000)
> >>
> >> VirtualBox: Tip! It may help to reinstall VirtualBox.
> >
> > that will not work of course. Running a hardened build from the bin
> > directory is not supported. A hardened build will only run if it's
> > installed to /opt/VirtualBox and the stubs (VirtualBox, VBoxHeadless,
> > VBoxSDL, VBoxNetDHCP, VBoxNetNAT) are installed as suid root.
>
> Thanks for the tip. Is that documented somewhere?
> https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux%20build%20instructions indicates
> that a hardened build can from from the build dir if some symlinks are
> made (which they were already for me by the build), and some files are
> chmod'ed/chown'ed. There's no mention of installing to /opt.

the documentation on that page is outdated. I did some fixes mentioning
that running a hardened build from the bin/ directory will not work. The
most up-to-date documentation you can find is the source code.

Kind regards,

Frank
--
Dr.-Ing. Frank Mehnert | Software Development Director, VirtualBox
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Werkstr. 24 | 71384 Weinstadt, Germany

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Hauptverwaltung: Riesstraße 25, D-80992 München