[vbox-dev] Building/using VirtualBox modules on Tails

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 01:23:52 GMT 2016

https://tails.boum.org/

> Just see what makes VirtualBox tick in standard Linux (by manually compiling
> and installing vbox), and see how Tails is any different from standard
> Linux. (at which stage things break apart)

I've tried as much as I can think of (checking /etc/init.d, syslog,
dmesg, lsmod, etc.).

> In general, you need only one primary kernel module:
> -vboxdrv
> (other modules are optional)

Ok.

> +one primary service:
> -VBoxSVC

the vboxsvc and other modules are loaded. /dev/vboxdrv
exists, and looking in /lib/modules shows the virtualbox modules are
under the running kernel

> And they all need to match in version with GUI.

Yes, I've got matching versions, but Virtualbox doesn't consider them usable.

How does Virtualbox try to load the modules / check the version
numbers? Is there some vbox logging I can enable to debug this?

I suspect a bad file permission, missing file, or something along
those lines, but I need to know what makes vbox fail..

--
-Austin