[vbox-dev] IFramebuffer changes from 4.x to 5.0

Rūdolfs Bundulis rudolfs.bundulis at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 00:40:38 GMT 2016

Hi,

I am porting my custom frontend to VirtualBox 5.0 and had a couple of
questions about how IFramebuffer works now. I see that all the stuff
regarding VRAM and implementing it inside the framebuffer is gone, which I
was told would happen. What confuses me is usage of notifyUpdate vs
notifyUpdateImage. I am launching the machine inside my own process - so
then which is the most efficient way to receive notifications about
updates? Which one is more efficient? As I understand if I use notifyUpdate
(and do not retur the UpdateImage capability) I must get the pointer to the
bitmap and all the data from the IDisplaySourceBitmap interface? Is that
thread safe? Can I read the pixels without any explicit locking? And what
about changes to the pixel format - they are no longer part of the
notifications. Does that mean I need to
call IDisplaySourceBitmap::queryBitmapInfo() each time i receive a
notifyUpdate call?

Best Regards,
Rudolfs Bundulis