[vbox-dev] Windows 10 guest additions video driver problem

Anna Fischer a.fischer at sirrix.com
Fri Feb 26 09:03:25 GMT 2016

Am 25.02.2016 um 20:38 schrieb Frank Mehnert:
> Anna,
>
> On Thursday 25 February 2016 19:26:08 Anna Fischer wrote:
>>> Betreff: Re: [vbox-dev] Windows 10 guest additions video driver problem
>>>
>>> Hi,

>>> after the host resumed.

>>> yes, at least if dbus works as expected, see here:
>>>
>>> https://www.virtualbox.org/browser/vbox/trunk/src/VBox/Main/src-> > server/linux/HostPowerLinux.cpp#L134
>>>
>>> and here:
>>>
>>> https://www.virtualbox.org/browser/vbox/trunk/src/VBox/Main/src-> > server/HostPower.cpp#L74
>>>
>>> and later we will arrive Main/src/client/ConsoleImpl.cpp line 6195.
>>>
>>> The VBox.log file of running VMs should indicate if they are suspended/
>>> resumed on host suspend/resume.
>>
>> To me the code looks as if the VM is actually paused, not suspended (e.g.
>> saved). Is that so?
>
> Yes. VBox terminology:
>
> suspend(pause)/resume:
>    stop/continue the execution of the VM. The VM process remains.
>
> savestate:
>    save the VM state to disk and terminate the VM process
>
> restorestate:
>    start a new VM process and load the state from disk
>
>> It does not make sense to actually really suspend a VM (e.g. save state),
>> because for Windows 10 with 4-8 GB of RAM, this will take up to 30 seconds!
>
> Of course. Therefore we only pause/resume the VM in that case.

I can confirm now that when I manually pause the VM before host suspend,
it does not break the guest. So the problem seems to be that for
whatever reason, VirtualBox does not get to pause the VM before host
suspend.

I have checked the logs, but I do not see any errors. Is there a way to
increase logging of the VirtualBox service somehow? How can I debug this?

Cheers,
Anna