[vbox-dev] Win: Is it possible to change VBoxNetAdapter to IFType=IF_TYPE_PROP_VIRTUAL instead of Ethernet

Ribhi Kamal rbhkamal at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 14:40:51 GMT 2016

Hi,
I'm trying to change the type of HostOnlyAdapter on windows from ETHERNET
(IFType=6) to VIRTUAL (IFType=131). I updated the registry setting as
suggested by the KB Article below but that doesn't seem to take effect. So
I'm wondering if this is something that needs to be change at the source
code level.

Would you please point me in the right direction as to where this
should/can be done?

So more background info (if you are interested):
Apparently, as the article states, Windows will try to disconnect the Wifi
interface if it detects that an Ethernet adapter has internet. In %99.9999
of VirtualBox use cases, this will not be a problem. However, it is a
problem for me because I use VirtualBox as a crypto router with split
tunneling. Meaning that the host will have two default gateways, one
provided through VirtualBox (VPN) and the other from a Wifi interface. So
horrible-dos decides to disconnect the Wifi which interrupts and
disconnects the tunnel. Ta da!

In my case, updating the policy to disable that feature is not an option.
So the only thing left for me is to change the adapter type. So any help
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-- Ribhi