[vbox-dev] Fwd: Explanation about Ring0 context

Frank Mehnert frank.mehnert at oracle.com
Tue Feb 2 09:18:34 GMT 2016

Hi Luca,

device emulation code in VirtualBox can run within three contexts:

* R3 (part of VBoxDD): Normal userland code executed in the VM
  process context. This code is executed each time we leave the
  guest and go back to userland. This code is not that performance-
  critical, e.g. device initialization, memory allocation etc.

* R0 (part of VMMR0): Code which is executed in kernel context.
  This happens if the VM runs in VT-x/AMD-V mode and we left the
  VM and entered the root mode where the VirtualBox VMM runs
  (next to the host OS kernel). For performance reasons we don't
  switch to userland (R3). The amount of R0 code is much smaller
  than the amount of R3 code. Such code can also call host OS
  kernel functions directly (e.g. submit a network IP packet to
  the host OS network layer). Calling the host OS code from VMMR0
  is usually done using SUPR0* functions which are implemented in
  src/VBox/HostDrivers/Support and runtime functions which are
  implemented in src/VBox/Runtime/r0drv

* RC/GC (part of VMMRC.rc): This code is executed if the VM runs
  in non VT-x/AMD-V mode (legacy). Only 32-bit code. This code is
  part of the hypervisor which runs in R0 in the context of the
  guest process. The guest itself runs at R1 (guest userland as
  R3 as usual). Google should explain you x86 ring compression.

Of course R3 code cannot directly call R0 code. The code in our
device driver has sections which are unique to two or all three
contexts. That means that this code is compiled three times and
exists in all three contexts. Other code is exclusively used in
one or two contexts.

Kind regards,

Frank

--
Dr.-Ing. Frank Mehnert | Software Development Director, VirtualBox
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Werkstr. 24 | 71384 Weinstadt, Germany

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Hauptverwaltung: Riesstraße 25, D-80992 München